This pasta is seriously bursting with every summer flavor possible. It has a handful of summer vegetables including summer squash, zucchini, eggplant, and tomatoes. To add a depth to the sauce, I added some homemade pesto, Greek yogurt, and sun dried tomatoes. There are so many flavors going on in this dish...and it's healthy!
Baked Penne with Roasted Summer Veggies (Recipe adapted from Food Network)
1 eggplant, quartered and cut into cubes
2 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into cubes
2 summer squash, quartered lengthwise and cut into cubes
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp sun dried tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 lb whole wheat penne pasta
3 cups good marinara sauce
1/4 cup homemade or store bought pesto
3/4 cup fat free Greek yogurt
1 cup Italian blend shredded cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 cup grated mozzarella plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- On a baking sheet, toss the eggplant, zucchini, summer squash, and onions with olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, garlic, red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning. Roast until tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta for about 8- 10 minutes. DO NOT OVER COOK.
- In large mixing bowl combine marinara sauce, pesto, sun dried tomatoes, and Greek yogurt. Mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, toss the drained pasta with the roasted veggies, sauce mixture, Italian cheeses, Parmesan, and 1/4 cup mozzarella. Gently mix until the pasta is coated with sauce and the ingredients are combined.
- Pour the pasta into a 9x13-inch pan. Top with some extra mozzarella. Bake until the top is golden and the cheese melts.