So I just realized that my last four posts had caramel in them...looks like I might have a problem!
This one however, is the BEST one yet. I pinned this a few months ago, thinking I would be able to make it for Thanksgiving. But since we spent ours honeymooning in Cabo...I needed another occasion to make it.
My uncle flew in from India to be here for our wedding and it has meant so much to have him here. We had a little farewell dinner for him and the whole family at our house last night and I figured this was the perfect time to make this!
Caramel, apples, pecans, and whip cream. What else do you need??
There are a lot of steps to this pie, but trust me, it is totally worth it! This is by far the best dessert I have made in a while!
Candy and Caramel Apple Pie
Recipe from Doughmesstic
1 1/2 c graham cracker crumbs
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
1 c chopped pecans
5 Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored, sliced very thin)
5 tbsp butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
Cream Cheese Topping:
8 oz. cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup whipped cream
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the crumbs, sugar, cinnamon and melted butter. Mix well and press into a 9-inch spring form pan and up the sides. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes until golden in color.
- Remove pan from oven and cool completely.
- Pour caramel into pie shell and sprinkle with 1 cup of chopped pecans. Refrigerate crust while making apple filling.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and add brown sugar, salt and cinnamon. Add apples and stir.
- Cook over medium to medium-high heat for 15 to 20 minutes until apples are softened and tender.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and pour into pie shell.
- In a medium bowl, using a hand-held mixer on low speed, combine cream cheese and sugar for about 1 minute until smooth. Add egg, lemon juice and vanilla and beat for 1 minute or until fully blended. Pour over apple filling in pie shell.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 30 minutes until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Remove pie from oven and let cool. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Let stand outside the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Top with whipped cream, caramel and pecans, and swirl with a knife.
Slice and serve.