Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Caramel Apple Pie

What's more fall than apple pie?? We had some close friends over for dinner and I was dying to make this apple pie recipe. I've always been intimidated by homemade pie, particularly by making the crust. I've never really made a pie before, so I was a bit nervous for my first attempt in front of guests! 
For this little dinner party I chose to skip out on the homemade crust and put my faith in Pillsbury. Turns out the pie came out really well and I had everyone surprised that it was my first attempt. Maybe making a pie isn't quite as intimidating as I always thought, or I just got lucky. 
Next time I'm tackling that pie crust! I have to give Southern Living Magazine the credit for this pie recipe. However, I've slightly adapted it to give it my own twist!

Caramel Apple Pie
Ingredients: 
4 pounds Granny Smith apples
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbs flour
1 tbs cinnamon
1 tsp fresh grated nutmeg

Caramel Sauce:

10-15 caramel candies 
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla

Crust:

1 (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated pie crusts
1 egg white
2 tablespoons granulated sugar

Vanilla ice cream

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel apples, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges. Toss apples with lemon juice, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar and granulated sugar.

2. In a microwave safe bowl melt the caramel candies in 20 second intervals. Add the milk and vanilla and stir until it reaches a silky smooth consistency.

3. Spray your skillet with non-stick cooking spray and place 1 pie crust in the skillet. Spoon apple mixture over pie crust, and drizzle the caramel sauce over the apples. Top with the remaining pie crust. Whisk egg white until foamy. Brush top of pie crust with egg white; sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar. Cut 4 or 5 slits in top for steam to escape.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly, shielding with aluminum foil during last 10 minutes to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Allow the pie to rest before serving, the caramel needs time to thicken or your will be serving apple pie soup. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!