Saturday, July 30, 2011

Too Many Tomatoes...

What else do you do with home grown tomatoes other than make tomato sauce?!? My mother is a hard core gardening fanatic. She brings me tomatoes EVERY weekend. I have now ended up at least a dozen tomatoes and I need to use them! One of the easiest recipes I found was from Smitten Kitchen

However, we like our sauce with a kick! I added some sriracha to spice things up a bit and give it some heat. I made some of my own changes and modified the recipe below.

Yield: About 4 cups sauce


3 pounds tomatoes (any kind will work)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 to 3 small cloves of garlic (chopped)
1/4 cup of white wine
1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
2 tsp dried Italian seasonings
1 tbsp Sriracha (optional)
Fresh basil, to finish


Peel your tomatoes: Bring a pot of water to boil. Blanche the tomatoes in the boiling water for 10 to 30 seconds, then either rinse under cold water or shock in an ice water bath. This will make it super easy to peel the tomatoes. 

Once they are all peeled, quarter them and squeeze the seeds out over a bowl. (Keep the juice just in case you need to add a little bit later.) Chop the tomatoes into chunks.   




Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook until they are translucent. Add your tomatoes and bring to a simmer, lowering the heat to medium-low. I don't like my sauce chunky, so I used an immersion blender to thin it out a bit. You could also use a potato masher. Add in the basil, seasonings, and salt and pepper. Simmer for about 15 minutes and then add the white wine and sriracha.





Continue to let your sauce simmer, stirring occasionally. After about 35 minutes you'll have a delicious pot of tomato sauce! Note: the longer you let it simmer the more concentrated the flavors get. 
My taste tester! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!