I love burgers. Veggie Burgers.
If there's a veggie burger on the menu, look no further. The problem is that I can never find one at the grocery store that doesn't taste like cardboard. So, it was time to find a recipe for a good homemade veggie burger. I wanted something with big flavor that would form real patties. I also wanted it to be made with things I would normally have on hand. AND it needed to be so good that Evan would eat it too! :)
I finally found this recipe. As soon as I saw Guy Fieri's name attached to this burger, I knew it would be a hit. A veggie burger that’s delicious, moist but firm, and made with things you probably already have in your kitchen. I modified the ingredients to suit our taste buds and added some extra heat!
Start with a few tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet and sautéing a mix of onions, green bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic and corn.
While the vegetables cool, grab a bowl and combine the dry ingredients – rolled oats, bread crumbs and all of the seasonings.
Then in a food processor, and combine the black beans and chickpeas. Add the vegetables to the beans and pulse them in the food processor until combined.
Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the dry ingredients. Add an egg to help bind everything together, and mix it with your hands.
Form eight patties by hand and place them on a cookie sheet. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before grilling.
*We added caramelized onions and provolone cheese to our burger and it was ahh-mazing!
Adapted from Guy Fieri (“Guy’s Big Bite,” Food Network)
Makes 4 big burgers or 8 smaller ones
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons diced yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons diced green bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon diced jalapeno (optional)
- 4 ounces corn
- 1 1/2 tablespoons diced garlic
- 1 cups (6 ounces) rolled oats (or old-fashioned oatmeal)
- 6 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon grill seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 ounces black beans, drained
- 4 ounces chickpeas, drained
- 1 egg
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a a saute pan over medium heat. Add all of the raw vegetables except the beans. Saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove and cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a food processor combine the beans. Add the sauteed vegetables, and pulse until just mixed. Stir in the dry ingredients, along with the egg.
- Using your hands, thoroughly mix the ingredients. Form into 4 patties for large burgers or 8 patties for smaller ones. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the grill and brush with olive oil. Cook for 4-5 minutes until golden brown.