I got a hankering for cupcakes while watching Cupcake Wars on Food Network the other day. One of the contestants made a strawberry cupcake that looked amazing! Once I have a recipe in my head I am bound and determined to make it. I only made 12 cupcakes and used the rest of the batter to make a small cake. Enjoy! :)
Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
Adapted from Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 white cake mix
- 1 (3 oz) box of strawberry gelatin
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup of frozen sliced strawberries in syrup, thawed
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 stick butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tins with 12 cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the cake mix, gelatin, oil, 1/2 cup of the strawberries, and water until combined. Then beat in the eggs 1 at a time until well incorporated.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full with batter, do not over fill. With the extra batter fill an 8 inch cake pan that has been greased and floured.
- Bake at 350 for about 21 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- Place the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract in a bowl and using a mixer beat until smooth.
- Add half the powdered sugar to the cream cheese mixture and beat until all combined and fluffy.
- Beat in the remaining powdered sugar until combined and fluffy. Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes. Top with strawberry slices.