Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My Obsession: Nutella

In May of 2009 I had the opportunity to travel to Australia for a study abroad program. This is where I fell in love with Nutella. I honestly don't know how I ever lived without it. I have tried it on pretty much everything: toast, pancakes, bagels topped with bananas, graham crackers, peanut butter and nutella sandwiches, pretzels, a topping for ice cream with pecans...you name it, and I'll probably put Nutella on it. So I've decided to create anything and everything with this amazingly delicious hazelnut spread.
My first attempt at baking with nutella turned out to be pretty interesting. I wanted to incorporate nutella into a yummy, buttery, cookie. So that's what I did. The result: Nutella Pinwheel Cookies

I got the original recipe from The Purple Foodie and it's definitely a keeper!
This recipe doesn't require a lot of ingredients to get such delish results.  I’ll definitely be making them again.


Nutella Pinwheel Cookies
Ingredients:
  • 8 Tbsp. (1 stick) butter at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 cup of sifted flour (You might need a little more to make sure the dough comes together.)
  • 1/4 cup Nutella (I didn't really measure this, I figured it wouldn't hurt if I added a little more!)  
  • 2-3 Tbsp. toasted and chopped hazelnuts  (I left this out because I didn't have any.)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Mix the butter and sugar together until it's creamy. Add in the egg yolk and vanilla extract until well combined. Stir in the sifted flour.


Roll the dough into a ball and cover it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate dough for 20-25 minutes so it's nice and firm and easy to roll out.Remove dough from refrigerator and roll into a rectangle about 1/4″ thick.


Spread Nutella on top of dough, leaving about 1/2 an inch width around all the edges. Sprinkle with toasted hazelnuts, if you are using them. Roll dough into a log lengthwise and return to refrigerator for another 15-20 minutes.


Cut slices from dough and place on an ungreased baking sheet. A word of advice: The Purple Foodie recommends using floral wire to cut the cookie log. You can also use dental floss. (My dentist would be so proud!) Or you can certainly use a knife to slice the cookie log, but it will mess up your perfect nutella swirl. The dental floss worked perfectly for me!


Bake for 10-12 minutes until they are slightly golden brown. Watch for the edges to begin to color and remove from oven. Let them cool for about a minute or so before transferring them.


I got about 25 cookies out of this recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!