These bars are pretty amazing. There are some things that just scream summertime and these bars are one of them. Breakfast? Dessert? Either way, you can't go wrong!
You start with a soft and chewy cookie crust...topped with smooth cream cheese with a hint of vanilla...then sweet and juicy strawberries with an extra layer of cookie goodness!
Strawberries and Cream Bars
Recipe adapted from Cookies and Cups
1 box vanilla cake mix
1/3 cup butter, room temperature
3 cups strawberries, sliced
8 oz cream cheese
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl combine butter, one egg and cake mix until dough forms. Set aside 1 cup of the dough mixture for the topping.
- Using your hands, press the remaining dough mixture in the bottom of the pan and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, slice the strawberries into approx 1/4 inch slices.
- In a mixing bowl beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and remaining egg until smooth.
- Spread cream cheese over the partially baked crust and arrange the sliced strawberries over the cream cheese mixture. Break up the rest of the reserved dough mixture and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until center is set and crumbs on top turn golden brown.
- Cool completely and chill at least 30 minutes before serving.