Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Black Bean and Spinach Quesadilla

So as the new year begins, I'm sure everyone is thinking about their new year's resolutions...and eating better and exercising are usually at the top of the list. I don't really believe in resolutions, but I figure as long as I am exercising I can eat as many cookies and brownies as I want, right??
After a month of eating delicious, buttery casseroles and yummy sweets, I am ready for a serious detox from fatty foods! Now, don't get me wrong, my sweet tooth won't stay quiet for long, but for now I'm opting for less sugar and more veggies!
 We have a bit of a sick obsession with Mexican food. Evan and I could eat quesadillas and tacos for dinner every night. Unfortunately, the average quesadilla is filled with cheese and  isn't that healthy. This recipe is extremely filling and full of fiber and protein. 
(*Please excuse the photos...I had to use my cell phone!)

Ingredients:
6-8 flour tortillas
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups fresh spinach
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp taco seasoning

Directions:
In a skillet, heat olive oil and saute garlic for 1 to 2 minutes. Add onion and taco seasoning; simmer for 2 minutes, or until onion begins to soften. Add beans and simmer 2 more minutes. Then add spinach, reduce heat, and cover to steam until wilted (about 3-5 minutes). Uncover and simmer until all liquid is evaporated.

In a separate small fry pan, place 1 tortilla in skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Top with 1/4 bean/spinach mixture and second tortilla. Cook 2 minutes per side, or until browned. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Slice into wedges; serve with salsa and low-fat sour cream. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!